Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tuna Boats [Twice Baked Potatoes]

 
What!!??!! is that?!

Is that what you're asking yourself right now?

That's certainly what I asked the first time I had these twice baked potatoes.  This recipe comes from a long time ago.

The summer after the hubs and I were married we house sat one of his sister's houses. We didn't mind at all because it was close to the hospital (I was due that summer with my oldest), we didn't have to pay rent, and most of the time we had the house to ourselves.  Every once in a while this sister and her family would come for a weekend.

One weekend she made us "tuna boats". To be perfectly honest, I was a tad bit grossed out.  Tuna in potatoes?  Sick!  And to be perfectly honest again, after I ate one, I was very shocked.  It was actually quite good, so much so that I ate two of them and made them for several years after that.

Then they just stopped making it into our menu rotation. Mostly because I was trying new things and soon I completely forgot about them. Then my oldest remembered them several months ago and asked if we could have them for dinner. After asking the hubs and Seth what they remembered was in these potatoes (since I have no known copy of this beauty), we tried several different versions and this is what we decided we liked best.

The other kids loved them and once again I was very surprised on how well tuna and potatoes go together.  So yummy!!

Tuna Boats [Twice Baked Potatoes]

(click here for printable version)

6 medium russet potatoes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can tuna fish, drained
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup ranch dressing
1/3 cup fresh parmesan, shredded

1. Bake potatoes at 350°F for an hour or until fork can easily be inserted in center. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes. Carefully, they will be hot, cut potatoes down the center lengthwise. Scoop out insides, leaving a 1/4" around the skin, and put into large bowl.

2. Add salt, pepper, cheese, tuna fish, sour cream, and ranch dressing to potatoes. Mix everything together until completely combined and breaking up potato chunks. Carefully spoon mixture back into potato skins. Sprinkle fresh parmesan on the top of all the potatoes. Put back in oven till warmed through, about 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with ranch dressing to dip. Enjoy!
Blogging tips