Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wedge Salad with Homemade Bleu Cheese Dressing


My husband and I went out to a nice restaurant last week to celebrate 12 years of marriage.  Oh what a great time we have had.  Many ups and downs but 4 kids later we are still very much in love.  

Back to the salad, I noticed at this restaurant that they had a wedge salad on the menu for $9.

Seriously!

It's a piece of iceberg lettuce sprinkled with a few toppings.  I am not paying 9 buck for that.  But of course I had to come home and make myself one.

I wanted to know what was so special about a wedge salad.  We rarely eat iceberg lettuce, my husband thinks it is quite revolting, but I had to give it a try.  

After searching several blogs I found this recipe with homemade bleu cheese dressing.  I do not like bleu cheese dressing but that's what the restaurant served it with so of course I had to do it too.

Oh my.

I think I love iceberg lettuce, at least if I can eat it like this.

And I think I like bleu cheese dressing--I know gross, but after this it's true.

My husband does too actually--this was amazing.  I'm sure what made it good was the bacon and dressing but I wow, the combination was amazing.

You might be skeptical like me but this is a must.  I seriously ate this for dinner one night, nothing else, it was that fabulous!

Wedge Salad with Homemade Bleu Cheese Dressing


Dressing:
3 ounces blue cheese or blue cheese crumbles
3 Tbsp. buttermilk
3 Tbsp. sour cream
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1.  To make dressing, in a small bowl, mash blue cheese and buttermilk together with a fork until mixture resembles large-curd cottage cheese. Stir in sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, and garlic until well blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2.  Recipe makes 6- 2 tablespoon servings.  Whole milk may be used in place of buttermilk for a milder flavor but don't use anything thinner than that. Dressing may be refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to two weeks. 

Salad:
1 head of iceberg lettuce
6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
1 tomato, chopped

1.  Cut lettuce into wedges.  One head will be enough for 4 - 6 nice size salads.  Top lettuce with tomatoes and bacon.  Spoon dressing over top and top with additional blue cheese crumbles, if desired.  Serve immediately.  Enjoy!



Blogging tips