Friday, August 5, 2011

Chocolate Snickerdoodles

 Some days I just have to make things.  

And it's not crafty things.  I am not very good at sewing, pinning, sawing, glueing, painting, or coming up with amazing, super cute projects with things laying around my house.

I guess that's why I bake.  Especially on bad days.  

Some days I am "off" (that's how I describe days that I just wanted to sit on the couch with a book and not do a blasted thing else).  Some days I just have a hard time being nice, it's those days that some of the best creations are made at our house.

I don't know why that is.  Why can't I make amazing things on days that I am nice, and sweet, and feel great about life.  Who knows, if anyone figures out the secret let me know.  

That's how this little beauty was born.  I wanted to make Snickerdoodle cupcakes (recipe will be posted soon) but I wanted to make something cute to stick on the top of the frosting.  So I thought:
"what if I put a cookie on the top" 
and then I thought:
"regular snickerdoodles will just blend in though"
and then I thought:
"what if you add chocolate--cause everything is better with chocolate"
and SCORE!  These beauties were a hit.

Chocolate Snickerdoodles


1/2 c. butter flavored shortening (it's totally worth it)
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. cocoa
2 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
sugar, for rolling

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cream shortening, butter, and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.  Add vanilla and beat again.  

2.  In a medium bowl combine cocoa, flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt together.  Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and stir until completely incorporated.  Place extra sugar in a small bowl.  Roll mixture into small balls (size is completely up to you, I did about 1/2") and roll in sugar.  Place about 2" apart on greased cookie sheets.  Bake for 8 minutes.  Remove, let sit for 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack.  Enjoy!

Blogging tips